StadiumDB Newsletter Issue 79 - San Siro and Atalanta most read
The U20 World Cup is over but no summer break is planned, not in the ever-fascinating world of football stadia. Other tournaments are now ongoing, while stadium developments should be expected throughout the summer. Here's what got our attention in the past days.
Milan San Siro demolition? Not so fast...
Early morning saw AC Milan chief suggest that San Siro will be demolished. In reaction to Milan mayor reminded him that he doesn't own San Siro and has no right to decide...
Berlin Germany's most inclusive stadium by 2023
With Special Olympics coming to Berlin in 2023, authorities will spend a whopping €160 million on new athletics stadium. It will replace the historical Friedrich-Ludwig-Jahn-Sportpark.
England York Community Stadium hit by further delays
While not definitive for opening date of the stadium, commercial part of the project has fallen behind once more. It seems inauguration of the ground would not come until late autumn, if not later.
Milan Both clubs opting out of San Siro?
It's still not official, but La Repubblica suggests Inter and Milan have agreed on building a brand new stadium instead of revamping San Siro. The project could be ready as soon as 2022.
Glasgow Hampden officially sold to SFA
The contract was expected back in 2018 but was deadlocked for procedural reasons. Now Queens Park FC are officially preparing to leave their spiritual home as Hampden Park will be transferred to Scottish FA. Not instantly, but still.
England Sunderland offer naming rights for Stadium of Light
For the first time in 140 years Sunderland is opening its stadium name to commercialisation. While it was talked about for months, now an official video clip pitches naming rights to prospective sponsors.
Bergamo Atalanta's fight against time
In early May it was all about demolition, now the first steps of new north end are in place. By the end of September the new stand should be ready and enable Atalanta's start in Champions League.
Texas Austin FC break record for season ticket interest
How much of it is publicity and how much fact – we do not know. But the numbers are truly stunning. Over 30,000 people expressed their desire for season tickets at the new Austin FC stadium in just one day.
- 2019 FIFA U20 World Cup: Not that big of a tournament
- Poland: Płock faces tough choice on new stadium
- Scotland: First safe standing section dedicated to youth fans
- England: Council vote shoots down Eco Park
- London: QPR naming rights against knife crime
- London: Wimbledon launch stadium crowdfunding
- Bremen: Ultras against Weserstadion name change
- New design: New MLS attempt from Las Vegas
- Poland: Krakow to host 2023 European Games
- England: Wooden stadium a step from fruition
- Miami: Inter files final documents for Freedom Park Stadium
- England: Portsmouth considering new stadium
- StadiumDB Newsletter: Issue 78 - Cup finals and U20 World Cup
- British stadia turn to concert mode in revenue push
- Poland: Łódź signs contract for third stadium
- Aberdeen: Kingsford financing to be sealed in a year
- New stadiums: Sevilla & Alcorcón
- New stadiums: Baku, Baku, Baku
- Liverpool: Everton to show future stadium in July
- England: Oxford United want new stadium, just not yet
- Australia: Western Melbourne stadium could come later