Japan Massive push for new stadium in Greater Tokyo
Four sports clubs are aiming extremely high: the goal is to get 100,000 people in favour of a new stadium. Such support would give great momentum to funding drive for the project.
Russia Kaliningrad out of the red only thanks to federal support
Since 2019 the World Cup stadiums are transferred from federal to regional management. But for Kaliningrad survival wouldn't be possible if not for federal support, which accounts for 90% of the budget.
Turkey Legend of Alsancak slips further away
This project has already outlived two sports ministers and yet it cannot come to an end. After planned opening in 2019 and 2020 it's now expected to be ready for reopening in early 2021... despite being nearly complete.
England Bolton Wanderers considered sealing off the upper tier
With average turnout under 40% of nominal capacity, Bolton Wanderers were considering disabling the upper tiers of University of Bolton Stadium.
Venice Company established to examine new stadium options
While Venezia FC is fighting to avoid relegation from Serie B, a group of 11 investors has formed in order to examine the viability of new stadium at Tessera.
Paris Courts refuse reimbursement for loss during Euro 2016
Consortium running Stade de France fought for over 4 years in courts, claiming damages of almost €7.5 million due to the hosting of Euro 2016. No use, even the highest tribunal refused to agree.
London Wimbledon's magic works once more!
Three months back they were on the brink of despair, now the fan-owned club has once more shown its true colours. Construction of the new stadium is no longer threatened after an amazing show of support.
Cologne Olympics at 1. FC Köln stadium after all?
It may be a football-specific stadium but we've seen such conversions happen before. If lower stands are covered, a running track could be fitted. But then expansion to 75,000 would be a must.
Liverpool Anfield Road expansion could begin this year
As the second phase of public consultation is ongoing, planning application should be filed in several weeks. This could mean first works on expansion before end of 2020.
- Florence: Fiorentina looking for land outside the city
- California: “Public corruption issue” or “petty vengance”?
- New design: Lovely stadium. For whom, exactly?
- Berlin: Hertha supporters propose round table
- Rio de Janeiro: Maracanã capacity again close to 100,000?
- StadiumDB Newsletter: Issue 92 - The vote is open, what else is new?
- Belgium: Ciara rips roof off Ghelamco Arena
- Manchester: United apply for safe standing section
- Stadium of the Year 2019: The Popular Vote is officially open!
- New stadium: Slovakia's most advanced stadium
- New stadium: MOL Aréna in Dunajska Streda
- New stadium: Here comes Tokyo's timber stadium
- New stadium: Italian gem of Albania
- New stadium: Late by two years but finally opened
- New stadium: Yet one more interesting case from Chile
- New stadium: Welcome to New Guinea!
- England: Safe standing has “positive impact on spectator safety”
- New stadium: Datong's rugged charm
- New stadium: VTB Arena
- Pyrotechnics: First legal smoke show at HSV
- Belgium: Witsel invests in future Standard stadium