Gelsenkirchen Schalke transforms player tunnel into mine shaft
The Ruhr club want to remind their players of mining traditions and intimidate away teams with their dark tunnel leading to the pitch.
Africa Rwanda’s dream stadium must wait
It would have been a gem of the 2016 Africa Nations Championships. But a brand new 40,000-seater was put on hold as delivery in time for the tournament proved impossible.
Russia 2018 Two stadiums of the World Cup downsized
Kaliningrad and Yekaterinburg will see both their stadiums have capacity of 35,000 instead of 45,000 indicated previously. FIFA approved the change, which means a completely new design and trouble for Yekaterinburg.
Poland Narodowy boasts volleyball record
Stadion Narodowy in Warsaw witnessed a record crowd of 63,000 yesterday during the opening of Volleyball World Championship. That’s quite an achievement, but is it the biggest volleyball gae ever? Well… no.
Hamburg Last stand at Millerntor slightly delayed
Works in Sankt Pauli were due in September, but demolition of the north end has now been postponed. Still, the new north stand will be ready in time for the 2015/16 season.
England New stadium for York City getting closer
Construction is due in March, while the city selected future operator. New renderings are here, but contractor isn’t – ConstructionEnquirer.com informs.
Las Vegas Cost stays the same, but roof is gone
Price of a single seat at the proposed Las Vegas MLS stadium stands extremely high, at $8,300. Reasons seem unclear as investors drop retractable roof from the project.
New stadium Otkritie Arena opened by Putin
The third stadium for Russia’s 2018 World Cup is ready. It’s also the very single one not financed by taxpayers. Starting September Otkritie Arena will become the first ever home for Spartak.
Hillsborough “We were putting injured on one side, dead on the other”
Despite coordinating the work of 30 officers at the heart of the disaster, inspector Anthony Humphries was never called as a witness before. Now his statement gives evidence of what happened at Hillsborough.
- Vienna: Rapid filed planning application for Allianz Stadion
- Valencia: The future Mestalla still uncertain
- New York: Hadid sued journalist who blamed her for deaths at stadium site
- Algeria: Tragic incident, player killed with projectile
- New design: Stadium made of tractor valves?
- Donetsk: Donbass Arena damaged by shelling
- New stadiums: Two from Latvia, two from Lithuania
- Turkey: Chaos and empty stands, low crowds nationwide
- Poland: Warsaw’s athletic misery
- Canada: Hamilton stadium still not ready
- Groningen: Euroborg roof to supply power for 70 households
- New stadiums: Świdnik, Września, Gryfice, Międzychód, Plewiska
- Coventry: City agree return to Ricoh Arena
- Oslo: New stadium for Vålerenga partly approved
- Bordeaux: Roof almost ready, first giant screen mounted
- Poland: Białystok stadium (almost) delivered in time
- New design: This vision boosted Kazakhstan’s football dreams
- Switzerland: Fans paid for free tickets in protest
- Kazan: Kazan Arena (re)opened for league after a year
- Kazakhstan: FK Aktobe to have new stadium
- Russia: World Cup stadium in Volgograd approved