Stadion Letzigrund – until 2006
|9167 (Covered seats)|
|2438 (Uncovered seats)|
|12 000 (Covered standing places)|
|Clubs||Fussballclub Zürich, Grasshopper-Club Zürich|
|Last renovation year||1984|
|Renovations||1935, 1947, 1958, 1973, 1984|
|Project||Bétrix & Consolascio Architekten, Frei & Ehrensperger Architekten|
Letzigrund – historical stadium description
Built in 1925 the stadium was owned by FC Zurich. And the club, despite its name, was a multi-section one, with athletics playing an important role. Thus no wonder running track was created to encircle the pitch.
After a decade complete revamp was done, but then in 1937 the venue had to be transferred to the municipality as FCZ couldn’t cope with costs. Further changes came in 1958 (new grandstand) and 1973 (further two stands, floodlights). By the end of its existence it was among the most unusually shaped stadiums worldwide.
Though has been Switzerland’s major athletics stadium for decades, its history had always been connected with football. First domestic cup final was played here back in 1926, not mentioning national team fixtures that followed, as well as numerous club fixtures. And since 1996 it was also started to be used a concert venue with Bon Jovi being first to perform.
In 2006, when Zurich was rushing to prepare Euro 2008 infrastructure, the ground was demolished to be rebuilt. Just before that supporters had the chance to come in and get a piece of it – literally. Seats, grass and even concrete were among souvenirs.