Gamla Ullevi – until 2007
|Clubs||IFK Göteborg, Göteborgs Atlet- & Idrottssällskap|
|Other names||Ullervi (1916), Ullevi (1916-1958)|
|Inauguration||17.09.1916 (IFK Göteborg - AB København, 2-2)|
|Record attendance||32,357 (Örgryte IS - IF Elfsborg, 02.05.1957)|
|Address||Skanegatan 5, Göteborg|
Description: Gamla Ullevi
The ground had been called Ullervi when opened in 1916, but as this was incorrect, the „r” was removed after academic pressure. Name derives from Ull (name of Scandinavian god) and vi (sacred place). This “holy” name was modified in 1958 when new Ullevi opened in town, which meant this first one had to be called Gamla, meaning “Old”. Interestingly, when it was dismantled in 2007 (closing date: 09.01.2007) and reopened as a new ground in 2009, this inadequate named was left untouched.
Depending on discipline it could accommodate 15-18,000 people, but due to vast majority of those being terraces, record attendance of over 32,000 spectators from 1957 is no surprise. Over the years three local sides had been tenants of this ground: GAIS, IFK Göteborg and Örgryte IS. However there was a lot more infrastructure integrated with the stadium, for disciplines such as bandy hockey, figure skating, handball, boxing or tennis.