Estádio dos Barreiros – until 2015

Capacity9 177
146 (VIP seats)
50 (Press seats)
17,000 (Capacity in 1957)
Country Portugal
CityFunchal
ClubsCS Marítimo
Build year1957
Last renovation year2009
Retire year2015
Floodlights 1,200 lux
Inauguration 05/05/1957
Construction 27/04/1953 - 18/02/1956
Design António Couto Martins
Contractor João Augusto de Sousa
Address Rua Campo do Marítimo, Santo António, 9020-073 Funchal

Advertisement

Betting sites Betway

Description: Estádio dos Barreiros

First stadium in this central area of Funchal was built in 1923. From the start the main challenge was Madeira’s difficult topography, which made creation of some 10,000 m2 of relatively level ground very hard.

What the photos show is already the second iteration of the stadium, built in 1953-1956. Differences in terrain height are so significant that the west side was created well below ground level while the east stand rises noticeably above surrounding grounds. The more impressive it is to build a stadium of 17,000 capacity, with the city’s prime football field and running track.

Estádio dos Barreiros became the only stadium across the Portuguese island capable of not only holding major football games and athletic events. Over the years floodlight masts were added, seats installed (capacity reduced to 9177) and an 8-lane running track arrived, allowing the stadium to remain in use until early 21st century.

In 2009 complete reconstruction began. Works were phased to enable continuous use of the stadium for football games. North stand arrived first, east and south followed, while the last piece of the old ground, main western grandstand, disappeared in 2015.

Advertisement

Pictures

2008

Related news

2017

2015