Stade Raymond Kopa – until 2017

Capacity18 000
Country France
ClubsAngers SCO
Build year1912
Last renovation year2010
Retire year2017
Renovations 1925, 1957, 1993, 2007, 2010
Record attendance 22 989 (Angers SCO - Olympique de Marseille, 26/04/1969)
Address 11 Boulevard Pierre-de-Coubertin, 49000 Angers, France


Stade Raymond Kopa – historical stadium description

The stadium was opened in 1912 as Stade Bessonneau. Local industrialist was patron of the facility until 1957, when the arena simply became Stade Municipal. This situation continued until 1968, when the venue was renamed Stade Jean-Bouin and that name was used until 2017.

The first permanent stand was built in 1925. 32 years later, the facility lost its athletics track. At the same time, Saint-Léonard tribune (eastern stand) was created. Thanks to this, the stadium could accommodate 21,000 spectators that year.

In 1993, the facility was completely reconstructed. Particularly noteworthy was the crescent-shaped tribune (Colombier) behind the goal. It existed unchanged until 2017. In 2007, Saint-Léonard tribune was replaced by a modular stand. Three years later, Coubertin tribune (behind the goal from the north) was demolished and replaced with a similar tubular structure. In 2015, Jean-Bouin stand received new VIP boxes.

On March 3, 2017, Raymond Kopa passed away - the legend of French football, who started his career in Angers. Consequently, the city council decided on March 27, 2017 to rename Stade Jean-Bouin as Stade Raymond Kopa.

On October 6 of the same year, the architectural office led by Bruno Huet was announced as the designer of the stadium redevelopment that began shortly thereafter.