Camp Randall Stadium
|Country||United States of America|
|Renovations||1921, 1924, 1940, 1951, 1958, 1966, 2004|
|Cost||$ 15,000 (1917)|
|Design||Arthur Peabody (1917), Bernes-Schobler Associates (2004)|
|Address||1440 Monroe Street, Madison, WI 53711-2051, USA|
Description: Camp Randall Stadium
Sport arrived to former Camp Randall military training camp just three decades after the Civil War, making it one of the oldest operating sports fields in the USA. That said, it wasn’t the current stadium, fans would gather mostly on wooden benches and stands.
These began dilapidating after two decades and in 1915 parts collapsed, prompting financial aid for complete reconstruction. After several months of works, the stadium for just over 10,000 people was opened, but soon proved insufficient.
Already by 1920 it was expanded to 20,000, after a few more years it was nearly 40,000! This immense growth was associated with demand for Badgers games and the Big Ten’s team potential.
Initially shaped as a horseshoe with open south end, the stadium became nearly fully enclosed by 2005 to cope with the demand. The running track had to be removed, south end occupied (though still topped by the 1930 Field House) and west side received as big upper deck as was possible to fit with a road running just behind the stand.
With over 80,000 capacity now, the stadium offers bulk of its great corporate seating in the east, while the northern curve is devoted to the so-called student section. It’s known globally to begin jumping after the third quarter in the tune of “Jump around”, getting almost all of the stadium in a festive mood.