Stadion Miejski w Elblągu (Stadion Olimpii Elbląg)

Capacity3 000
814 (Covered seats)
125 (VIP seats)
750 (Away section)
Country Poland
ClubsZKS Olimpia Elbląg
Inauguration 1951/52
Renovations 2010-2011, 2014, 2016-2017, 2018
Record attendance 12,000 (Olimpia Elbląg - Zawisza Bydgoszcz, 29/08/1976)
Design Jerzy Hryniewiecki (1951)
Address ul. Agrykola 8, 82-300 Elbląg


Stadion Olimpii – stadium description

The story of football at Agrykola 8 goes back before Olimpia Elbląg was established or in fact before the city became Polish and the address itself existed. First playing field here was created in the early 20th century as infrastructure for nearby school. In 1928 it received a running track, which defined its oval shaped for decades.

It wasn't until 7 years after WWII that the field was upgraded to the city's main stadium, which came as late post-war rebuilding efforts. The west side and both ends received landfill auditoriums, while in the east a wooden stand was standing. In this form the venue stoof for decades, becoming Elbląg's primary football ground, used by Olimpia and numerous other teams.

On a few occasions efforts to upgrade or rebuild the stadium were made, though usually falling well short of expected budget. This was the case in 1988, when Olimpia wanted to cover the west side. It also happened in 2012, when the city proved incapable of handling a complete reconstruction. As a result, deteriorating state of the wooden grandstand prompted its closing in early 1998.

What was left of the east stand was only demolished in 2010. A year later the first sections of a new covered stand were opened, later extended to span nearly along the entire side. Still, the prefabricated-steel structure is fairly modest, with under 1,000 seats.

In 2016-17 the main building, comprising offices and sporting facilities, was thoroughly redeveloped. In 2018 the stadium received its first ever floodlighting system.



Related news