Stadion MOSiR Krosno (Stadion Karpat)
|704 (Covered seats)|
|Clubs||Wilki Krosno, Karpaty Krosno|
|Renovations||1986, 2002–2008, 2022–2023|
|Address||ul. Legionów 6, 38-400 Krosno|
Stadion Karpat – stadium description
Not long after WWII, in 1949, the municipal sports club Legia launched the construction of a brand new stadium within the bend of river Wisłok. It was a rare case that would combine infrastructure for football, athletics and motorcycle speedway.
Construction progressed rather well and allowed for the first speedway races to take place before the venue was ready. Official opening took place in 1951, giving the town of Krosno a stadium with motorcycle track, 6-lane running track and a football field. The ground was of sufficient quality that teams from Tarnów and Kraków were using it as guest tenants.
In the following years the stadium was used largely for racing and football, which came to an abrupt end in 1968, when the speedway section was dissolved for financial reasons, just 5 years after shift to the currnet name of Karpaty. Still, the stadium remained known for speedway even decades later, despite 18 years without a single official Karpaty race.
With the reactivation of speedway in Krosno (1986) significant renovation took place, largely to again adjust the ground to racers' needs. Further changes followed in early 2000s. In 2002 conversion to an all-seater began, even though official capacity is still usually listed with inclusion with grass-covered curves.
With football being a constant and speedway having returned, the stadium remains multi-use to this day, boasting Poland's longest speedway track. The north-western main grandstand is the only covered one, while south-eastern opposite straight hold the most people. Away following is accommodated on grass in the south.