Stadion im. Alfreda Smoczyka (Stadion Unii Leszno)
|Clubs||KS Unia Leszno|
|Renovations||1974-1975, 1977, 2007-2012|
|Record attendance||45,000 (Speedway World Pairs Championship, 05.08.1989)|
|Address||ul. Strzelecka 7, 64-100 Leszno|
Description: Stadion Alfreda Smoczyka
Decision to build a new speedway stadium in Leszno was made in April 1952. The design and much of construction work were done for free by local workers, not always voluntarily. This made the project ready by March 1953 and opened on April 19.
From the start patronage was given to Alfred Smoczyk, young champion of Poland from Leszno, who was killed in a motorbike accident just months after winning the championship. The decision to give the stadium his name was greeted with long applause. His name gave the venue its nickname “Smok” – “Dragon”.
First major renovations came in 1970s, with the track being replaced in 1974-75 and stands expanded to massive 40,000 (with Leszno having 38,000 inhabitants back then) for national harvest celebrations in 1977. This is when the main stand and its referees’ tower were built.
Another wave of changes came already in the 21st century. One by one, stands were renovated, getting new concrete work and seats, seeing capacity fall to some 15,000. Last section to be redeveloped was the eastern stand in mid-2012, which was the only one to be torn down and rebuilt as a concrete structure with infrastructure supporting adjacent sports facilities, locker rooms among other.
Around “Smok” there’s one more stadium, for football and athletics, tennis courts and swimming pools, to name some elements of the complex.
Disabled spectators will find their place on the north stand, entering through the large tunnel in the stands, only entrance at ground level.