Stadion im. Ernesta Pohla (Stadion Górnika Zabrze) – until 2016

Capacity11 722
20,000 (1935-1957)
35,000 (1957-1965)
Country Poland
CityZabrze
ClubsKS Górnik Zabrze SSA
Build year1934
Last renovation year2011
Retire year2016
Other names Adolf Hitler Kampfbahn (1934-1946), Stadion Miejski (1946-2005), Roosevelta Stadium, R81 (nicknames)
Floodlights 1,600 lux
Inauguration 02/09/1934
Opening game 03/1935 (German vs. Polish Upper Silesian teams, 3-3)
Renovations 1935, 1957, 1965, 1967, 1988, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008
Design Gustaw Allinger
Address ul. Roosevelta 81, 41-800 Zabrze, Poland

Advertisement

Betting sites Betway

Description: Stadion Ernesta Pohla

The idea of building a new stadium in western Hindenburg arose in 1920s. In 1928 a renowned landscape architect from Berlin, Gustaw Allinger, designed a vast complex that included a swimming pool and outdoor sports courts (west), main stadium (central) and two training fields (east). As was common in those days, the entire complex had a simple, symmetric and monumental layout.

Construction of the landfill terracing around a 5-lane running track began in March 1933 and lasted until September of 1934. This is when the building was inaugurated with 8 flat rows of terraces for up to 20,000 people. Decorated with a large Nazi eagle in the west and surrounded with Nazi flags, the building was named Adolf Hitler Kampfbahn.

At that time there was no main grandstand in the west, it was built a year later with Nazi symbols decorating its facade. The building was preserved almost unchanged until 2016, while Hitler’s name seized to be used in 1946, when Hindenburg was turned to now-Polish city of Zabrze. The building was occupied by Soviet armed forces and once they left, Górnik moved in.

The football club soon gained great popularity and in 1950s fought to become Poland’s champion twice, witnessed by thousands upon thousands of people. From 20,000 the stadium grew to 30,000+ by reconfiguration of existing rows and then in 1965 to 40,000+ as additional rows were added on top of the previously-existing ones. In 1967 floodlight masts were erected and, after several upgrades, remained in operation until 2011. In 1980s the giant scoreboard was built behind the southern curve.

Interestingly, though Nazi ornaments were removed right after WWII and Adolf Hitler Kampfbahn was never used after 1946, formally Adolf Hitler was the stadium’s name holder until 2004, when local football legend Ernest Pohl replaced him. Pohl remained the patron until 2016, when official name of Arena Zabrze was adopted.

Advertisement

Pictures

2006

  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    2006 © Górnik-Foto.tk
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    2006 © Górnik-Foto.tk
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    2006 © Górnik-Foto.tk
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    2006 © Górnik-Foto.tk
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    2006 © Górnik-Foto.tk

1999

  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1999 © Eurostadiums.com
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1999 © Eurostadiums.com
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1999 © Eurostadiums.com
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1999 © Eurostadiums.com

1936

  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1936 ©

1935

  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1935 © -
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1935 © -
  • Stadion Ernesta Pohla
    1935 © -

1934

Related news

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012