Stadion im. Ludwika Sobolewskiego (Stadion Widzewa Łódź) – until 2014

Capacity10 500
Country Poland
CityŁódź
ClubsWidzew Łódź
Build year1928
Last renovation year2007
Retire year2014
Floodlights 1,500 lux
Inauguration 1928
Renovations 1959-1960, 1975, 1985, 1996-2000, 2007
Address ul. Piłsudskiego 138, 92-300 Lódź
Other under-soil heating

Description: Stadion Widzewa

This wasn’t Widzew’s first stadium and Widzew was not the first club to play here. How come? Initially the club was based roughly 1 km west, while this plot was occupied by sports facilities set up in 1928 for a different team, WiMa (Widzewska Manufaktura).

It wasn’t until after WWII that Widzew moved here, having fused with WiMa and choosing the less damaged sports complex to use. A decade later reconstruction was already underway, though only partial: club pavilion was built in the south-western part of the stadium. At that point there was still a running track in use.

Major change came in 1970s, when all stands were reconstructed. With running track removed, the landfill terracing was created much closer to the field and old wooden main grandstand was replaced by one built largely with concrete. This resulted in a decent capacity of 20,000 people. From March 1985 the stadium also had floodlight masts, transported from Piła in western Poland.

A decade later work was again in full swing and no wonder, Widzew won a spot in Champions League group stage, which resulted in first individual seats being installed in 1996. By 2000 the main stand was fully renovated and covered by one of Poland’s most modern cantilevered roofs, connected with the main club building.

Most vocal supporters have long been based in the south stand. Due to the scoreboard being placed there, it was commonly known as Zegar (Clock End) and saw decades of great support, with first fan club being established in early 1970s.

After conversion into all-seater mode the stadium could only seat 10,500 people (eventually even fewer) and its lifespan was at the end despite some efforts to extend it. It was thus closed in late 2014 and a brand new building replaced it.

Pictures

2010

Related news

2017

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012