Stadion Miejski w Białymstoku (Stadion Jagiellonii Białystok) – until 2010

Capacity6 000
1000 (Covered seats)
Country Poland
CityBialystok
ClubsJagiellonia Białystok SSA
Build year1971
Last renovation year2006
Retire year2010
Nicknames Sloneczna Stadium, Hetman Stadium
Floodlights 1,200 lux
Inauguration 07.10.1971
Construction 1971
Renovations 1973, 2005, 2007
Record attendance 35 000 (Jagiellonia Bialystok - Widzew Lodz, 1987)
Address ul. Słoneczna 1, Białystok

Advertisement

Description: Stadion Miejski w Białymstoku

Construction of the stadium in Białystok's southern district of Noewe Miasto was approved back in 1962, but hasn't started until 1971. That year the stadium opened its doors for the first time, offering 16 rows of terracing based on artificial hills. With an athletic layout stands were able to hold some 15,000 people.

Already in 1973 the ground was expanded. Stands alongside the pitch received further rows, this time on concrete supports. Capacity was able to double with these works done.

With its vast size (among 10 biggest in Poland) the stadium was able to host Poland-Bulgaria international in 1988, while serving local side Gwardia, later renamed Hetman, who owned the stadium. Also, another local club, Jagiellonia, used the stadium in late 1980s.

With Hetman's position rapidly deteriorating, so was the state of the stadium. In 1990s it didn't meet requirements any more and Jagiellonia had to move their games elsewhere, while Hetman was struggling in the 3rd and 4th tiers of Polish football.

In 2005 Jagiellonia decided to invest in part of the stadium, reviving the east stand with new concrete and 5,000 seats. Similar facelift was soon given to the main grandstand as well, but with only 1,000 seats.

In 2006 the stadium became municipal property, allowing for the city to invest in further improvements. However, despite installing new floodlights, heated pitch and various other amendments decision was made to build a completely new stadium in this spot. Construction began in mid-2010 and the very last elements of the old ground were demolished in late 2013.

Advertisement

Pictures

2009

2005

1973

Related news

2013

2012