Stadion Miejski w Krakowie (Stadion Wisły Kraków) – until 2003

Capacity10 500
Country Poland
ClubsWisła Kraków SA
Build year1953
Last renovation year2003
Retire year2003
Floodlights 2000 lux
Inauguration 05.1953
Renovations 1972, 1985, 1995, 1997-1998, 2002, 2003
Record attendance 45 000 (UEFA Cup, Wisla - Celtic Glasgow, 1976)
Address Reymonta 22, Kraków


Stadion Wisły Kraków – historical stadium description

Stadium on 22 Reymonta St. was the third in Wisla's history, but lying in touching distance of two former ones (or wat was left of them – first ground was destroyed by fire). Though used mostly for football, it was designed as a multi-functional venue with athletics track around the pitch. Two crescent-shaped stands encircled the playing field and behind goals, where artificial hills were ending distinctive 'Brandenburg-alike' gates were raised. Together with an impressive columnade of the main stand and two towers of the opposite one, they were listed as historical monuments, but unfortunatelly were destroyed while building a new ground in that spot. Initially it was planned that these building would be rebuilt after modernisation, but the plan was not implemented.

First major change since the opening in 1953 was the addition of tall and smooth floodlight masts in 1972. New main stand was to be built in 1985 so former sections of terracing were dismantled. Unfortunately insufficient funding stopped works for 13 years. In 1998 two new sections of seating were opened. Lighting masts were taken down in 1995 and rpelaced by newer but cheaper and less attractive ones in 2002, just before construction of the new venue started.

Construction changes since opening left the ground with very low standard in the 1990's. Capacity was also decreasing throughout the years. Back in 1976 a record crowd of 45,000 people flocked the terraces to watch Wisla beat Glasgow Celtic. In 2003 when new stand's construction started, total capacity was barely over 10,000.





  • Stadion Wisły Kraków
    1972 ©
  • Stadion Wisły Kraków
    1972 ©