Žalgirio Stadionas – until 2011
|Clubs||Žalgiris Wilno, FC Vilnius|
|Last renovation year||2003|
|Other name||Stadion na Pióromoncie (1920-1929), Stadion Miejski (1929-1951), Spartak Stadionas (1951-1961)|
|Renovations||1924, 1929, 1951|
|Design||Wiktor Anikin (1951)|
|Address||Šeimyniškių gatvė 29, 2040 Vilnius, Lithuania|
Žalgirio – historical stadium description
One of Lithuania’s largest and most famous stadium dates back to times when Vilnius was a Polish city. It was built in early 1920s by Polish club Pogoń Wilno who became its owners. First two stands were opened in 1924, while in 1929 another expansion followed. By 1936 it hosted the Polish Athletics Championship, attended by the president.
Following WWII and transition to Lithuania, the building became home to first Spartak and then Žalgiris (1961), who played here until the very closing of the stadium in 2011. Though its historic value was significant, lack of renovations over the years made it obsolete, even if partial upgrades were made throughout the main grandstand.
Its history didn’t only see numerous league games, but also internationals of the Lithuanian team. At peak the stands offered over 15,000 people, but upon closing the number was reduced to 6,530.
In July 2016 demolition of the building began, making room for Marriott hotel, the very first one in any Baltic country.