Deepdale Stadium

Capacity23 404
3000 (Away section)
Country England
CityPreston
ClubsPreston North End FC
Inauguration 21/01/1875
Renovations 1928, 1934, 1995-2008
Record attendance 42,684 (Preston - Arsenal, 23.04.1938)
Address Sir Tom Finney Way, Preston, PR1 6RU

Advertisement

Betting sites Betway

Description: Deepdale Stadium

Initially part of Deepdale Farm, the sport field was first leased in 1875 for cricket and rugby, while football games were first staged in 1878 (first Preston North End league fixture in 1888). Soon afterwards the very first stand was created in the west, initially with tent serving as changing rooms for players.  

Attendances growing beyond the 10,000-mark forced the stadium’s expansion both in the west and north in 1920s, while new Town End, built in 1928, was consumed by fire after just 5 years. That’s why the new east side, Pavilion Stand, opened in 1934 and standing until early twenty-first century allowed larger crowds to gather.

Record games for Preston North End were seen in 1930s, with the Arsenal classic in 1938 being watched by over 42,000 people. However, in the case of Deepdale, it wasn’t always the men on top (so to speak) – ladies’ football proved very more popular here and the Dick, Kerr’s Ladies FC is said to have drawn crowds of over 50,000 for their games, though their record 53,000 was set in Goodison Park.

After the tragedies of late 1980s, decision was made to redevelop the stadium. Inspired by Italy’s Stadio Luigi Ferraris, works started in 1994 and saw the new west stand open in 1995, north end in 1997 and south end in 2001. Only the east side remained untouched until 2006, when it was closed for redevelopment and reopened in 2008, setting capacity at 23,404.

In 2001-2010 the National Football Museum was housed at Deepdale, home stadium of one of the Football League’s founder clubs. The museum was later relocated to Manchester. 

Advertisement

Pictures

Related news

2015

2014

2012