Stade Geoffroy-Guichard (Le Chaudron)

Capacity41 965
2,883 (Business seats)
126+126 (Disabled seats)
2,000 (Away section)
Country France
CitySaint-Étienne
ClubsAS Saint-Étienne
Inauguration 13/09/1931
Construction 1930-1931
Renovations 1936-1938, 1957, 1968, 1976, 1984, 1997-1998, 2007, 2011-2014
Cost FRF 600,000 (1931), €71.8 million (2011-2014)
Record attendance 47,747 (Saint-Etienne - Lille OSC, 11/05/1985)
Design Thierry Meyer, Michael Saidoun (1930), Dominique Berger, André Jallon (1998), Atelier Chaix & Morel et Associés, ARCH, IOSIS (2011)
Contractor Léon Grosse Groupe (2011-2014)
Address 14 rue Paul et Pierre Guichard, 42028 Saint-Etienne

Advertisement

Betting sites Betway

Description: Stade Geoffroy-Guichard

As with many stadiums in the early 20th century, this one’s history begins with landfill. This is what its location had been used until Geoffroy Guichard acquired the land in 1930. First grandstand was able to hold 1,000 people and cost FRF 600,000 to build. It was accompanied by two embankments behind the goals and running track.

Already in 1936-38 the stadium went through its first expansion, reaching 15,000. In 1957 the running track was removed, but the Guichard family had to transfer the stadium to the municipality due to lack of funds for further redevelopment. Under municipal ownership the floodlights were installed in 1965, then between 1968 and 1976 all stands were covered.

Another major upgrade came in 1984, when Euro games were held here. The western grandstand was rebuilt from scratch with two large tiers (existing to this day) and both kops were expanded, receiving new cover. Uncommon at that time, the south end was covered with plexiglas to assure proper sunlight to the field.

Further changes occurred for the 1998 World Cup. With all-seater rule being introduced, the stadium’s capacity fell drastically from almost 48,000 and only thanks to a second tier added to the east side the size of almost 40,000 was reached. Other changes also occurred on that occasion, like new lighting system, expanded main stand’s infrastructure, etc.

And finally, in 2016 came the stadium’s second Euro, for which a gradual redevelopment was prepared. Stand after stand, the stadium grew to over 42,000 with northern corners filled and both kops receiving new upper balconies. Roof was completely replaced over three stands and the entire stadium was covered with trapeza panels, giving it a modern, metallic outer skin.

Advertisement

Pictures

Related news

2017

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012