|Torquay United FC
|1930, 1955, 1984, 2012
|21,908 (Torquay United - Huddersfield Town, 29/01/1955)
Plainmoor – stadium description
Though formally in use by Torquay United since 1921, the field in Torquay's Plainmoor district was in use (mostly by rugby teams) already in the nineteenth century. In 1904 the football side Ellacombe moved in. It later merged with United to form Torquay Town, which then merged with Babbacombe in 1921 and reverted to the name Torquay United, becoming the owner and sole tenant of the stadium.
First structures on site were mostly wooden and not too strong, which was proven in 1930, when roof of the main stand was blown off. In the following years not much has changed, but popularity of the club managed to outgrow the stadium, seeing a record crowd of over 21,000 in 1955 FA Cup campaign. The same year Plainmoor became one of the first stadiums in lower leagues to get floodlights.
Current stadium is the outcome of 1990s reforms. New northern stand (seated) and revamped west and south stands were built (both terraced). In 2012 the largest one to date was opened in the east.
England: Torquay United to remain on Plainmoor
Plans to build a modern stadium in located in south-west England town of Torquay are going to fall through. The authorities of the club Torquay United anticipate, that such an undertaking would not be profitable under current conditions.
England: Torquay announce new stadium for 10,000 people
A brand new versatile stadium at the heart of English riviera? It's possible, already with backing from mayor of Torbay. Torquay United would move to what could be a 10,000-seater with option of expansion.