Merseyrail Community Stadium (Haig Avenue)
|Other names||Ash Lane (1905-1921)|
|Record attendance||20,010 (Southport FC - Newcastle United, 1932)|
|Address||Blowick, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 6JZ, United Kingdom|
Description: Merseyrail Community Stadium
From the first day in use, back in 1905, the stadium has been home to Southport FC. While that hasn't changed at all, the stadium is completely different than in the early days. First of all, it's now known as Haig Avenue, while until 1921 it was Ash Lane. As is tradition in England, the stadium's name was derived from its address and also changed along with it.
More importantly, the stadium's structure are nothing like they used to be. The old wooden main grandstand (north) burnt down completely after Boxing Day game of 1966, leaving only the safe with matchday proceeds untouched. It was then replaced in 1968 with the current covered grandstand. Another significant change came with the demolition of the southern terrace (for security reasons), which at its peak could hold up to 10,000 people.
With limited remaining demand, the stadium now has only low-scale terracing on three sides and the main grandstand. It still plays a significant role, though. It's been used by Liverpool FC and Everton reserves. It also gained its first ever naming rights deal in 2012, then prolonged in 2016.