County Ground

Capacity15 728
Country England
CitySwindon
ClubsSwindon Town FC
Inauguration 1896
Renovations 1932, 1938, 1951, 1960, 1971
Record attendance 32 000 (Swindon Town – Arsenal, 15.01.1972)
Address County Ground, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 2ED

Advertisement

Betting sites Betway

Description: County Ground

Swindon Town FC moped to County Ground in 1893 when it was used Orly for cricket. Three years later another stadium, this time football-specific was built next to it. This is where STFC play to this day. First major changes came in 1932 with a new covered stand, followed 6 years later by roof over another enclosure. The latter revamp was founded by supporters who collected over Ł4,000. Similar amount was paid to the club as compensation in 1945, after the army had taken over the venue for WWII purposes.

In the 1950’s floodlights arrived in Swindon, first installed and tested in 1953, officially inaugurated during league game in 1956, exactly on February 29th. The time matters as just one week before that Portsmouth have become the very first club to play a league fixture with artificial lighting. County Ground failed to be first in terms of floodlighting, but was first and remains the only stadium to have its clock provided by well-known brand Rolex.

Advertisement

Pictures

Related news

2012