AGC Arena (Na Stínadlech)

Capacity18 221
203 (VIP seats)
78 (Press seats)
17 255 (Covered seats)
Country Czech Republic
CityTeplice
ClubsFK Teplice
Floodlights 1600 lux
Inauguration 09.05.1973
Address Na Stínadlech 2796, 415 01 Teplice

Advertisement

Description: AGC Arena

When the aging wooden grandstand of old U Drožďárny stadium was far insufficient for FK Teplice, in late 1960s, planning began for a brand new ground in a different location. The selected area at Na Stinadlech street in south-western Teplice is currently the site of the city's biggest sports and leisure areas.

Because the investment was a matter of prestige for all of Czechoslovakia, construction had to end in a timely manner. The goal was to celebrate the 28th anniversary of liberation by the Soviet Army, which was in May of 1973. The opening was even attended by FIFA president Sir Stanley Rous.

And no wonder. Structurally the ground was ahead of its time. The crooked horseshoe shape (crooked because both site stands are bent) was designed for improved sightlines, even if such means is no longer in use. Steep concrete stands offered benches with backrests, floodlights were erected, immediately making it one of the best football-only stadia not only in Czechoslovakia.

Upon opening the stadium only had partial cover over the main stand (west), remaining two major stands were covered later on. Interestingly, the roof is very translucent in parts, mostly above two corner sections. When individual seats were added, capacity fell to some 18,000, of which only 1,000 are uncovered seats in the minor north end, one you could miss when looking at the stadium.

Though still displaying the same concrete and still mix from 1973, the stadium has been gradually upgraded, even landing the 2016 Czech Cup final and several national team games. In 2016 it also changed its name for commercial reasons for the first time, becoming AGC Arena.

Advertisement

Pictures