|Clubs||Raith Rovers FC|
|Renovations||1925, 1953, 1959, 1981, 1995-1996|
|Record attendance||31.306 (Raith Rovers - Heart of Midlothian, 07/02/1953)|
|Address||Pratt Street, Kirkcaldy, Fife, KY1 1SA|
Stark’s Park – stadium description
This uniquely located stadium was first used for football in 1891, when Raith Rovers moved here for the first time. Being squeezed between rail line (west) and Pratt Street (east), it never offered much room along the sides of the pitch, accommodating fans mostly behing goals.
The main stand, J-shaped, was built in the south-east corner in 1925 and remains with few changes to this day. It was designed by Archibald Leitch, the famous architect often called father of British stadiums of the past.
Remaining stands saw various changes, depending on regulations. In 1950s terraces were raised on all those sides, later covered by sheds with asbestos sheets. In 1959 floodlights were installed, bought thanks to a significant sale of players. One of them, Jimmy McEwan, went to Aston Villa who in return played the first night-time game at Stark's Park. In 1981 new terracing was built, but had to be taken down in 1990s, as the Taylor Report was published.
Current stands were opened in 1996, seeing the largest structures on both ends again, both covered with a cantilever steel roof and with floodlight masts integrated into them. The west side was also renovated on that occasion.