New Douglas Park
|Clubs||Hamilton Academical FC|
|Record attendance||6,001 (Hamilton Academical - Celtic FC, 17/01/2015)|
|Address||Cadzow Avenue, Hamilton, Lanarkshire ML3 0FT|
New Douglas Park – stadium description
Its name, as one would imagine, the stadium received as the successor of old Douglas Park stadium. That ground of Hamilton Academical FC existed since 1888 until 1994, when its state was deemed no longer good enough.
The club faced half a decade of exile to other stadiums before actually returning to their new home in 2001, a stone’s throw from the old Douglas Park.
The stadium was two permanent stands, one along the western side and one behind the northern goal. To meet capacity requirements of the Scottish Premiership, additional temporary eastern stand was set up.
Current size of the stadium seems extremely modest compared to best days of the old stadium, which in 1937 housed a record of 28,690 people.