Bruchwegstadion (Stadion am Bruchweg)
|Clubs||1. FSV Mainz 05|
|Renovations||1947, 1951, 1953, 1965, 1981, 1997, 2002, 2011|
|Record attendance||24,000 (1. FSV Mainz 05 - 1. FC Nürnberg, 27.02.1965)|
|Design||Fiebiger GmbH (1997-2004)|
|Address||Dr.-Martin-Luther-King-Weg, 55122 Mainz|
Built back in 1929, this stadium used to be for athletics and football. Today there’s nothing left but memories of that ground, though. Partly due to WWII damages which saw a thorough reconstruction happen in 1951. New terraces were covered in 1965 (west) and 1981 (east), while 1995 saw the first game with floodlights.
Complete revamp began as 1. FSV Mainz were advancing towards the Bundesliga. In 1997 both end zones were cleared and replaced with modest, covered tubular stands. Then in 2002 both stands along the pitch shared their fate, being replaced with bigger and more modern facilities. Finally, in 2004 western corners were filled with temporary seating for some 1,600 people (altogether), while eastern corners saw sound barriers installed.
Due to insufficient commercial potential and moderate standard the stadium was still replaced in 2011 by Coface Arena as the official 1. FSV Mainz venue, being left for reserve players only. With low interest, the temporary corners were dismantled that very year.
Apart from FSV Mainz games the stadium held a variety of events, like U21 Euro 2004, two League Cup finals (2003, 2004) and a 2010 World Cup qualifier between Georgia and Ireland, as the situation in Georgia was unstable at that time.