|Clubs||SG Sachsen Leipzig, BSG Chemie Leipzig|
|Other names||Georg-Schwarz-Sportpark (1945-1992)|
|Address||Am Sportpark 2, 04179 Leipzig, Deutschland|
Alfred-Kunze-Sportpark – stadium description
Its construction began in 1919 and gave Leipzig a new stadium in the western district of Leutsch a year later. Simple structure with a sunken pitch and terracing created below ground level became the home of Leipzig's most important clubs, beginning with Jahn in 1920s (when the 2-storey clubhouse was built), Tura, SG, Industrie, Lokomotive, Sachsen and Chemie, two of which have been reactivated and hold their games here to this day.
The terraces able to hold 20,000 were sometimes filled to capacity in 1930s, but the stadium's hayday came in 1960s, when Chemie reached for their DDR championship (1964) and DDR Cup (1967), cheered by crowds reported to be at 27,000.
Alfred Kunze was the team's coach at that time and his reign was the best time for Chemie, seeing him honoured by stadium patronage in 1992. Kunze came as the stadium's second patron, following Georg Schwarz, an anti-Nazi oppositionist murdered in 1945.
With local football collapsing completely after Germany's reunification, barely any investment was carried out in Leutzsch. It wasn't until 2009 that the wooden upper deck of the ground's west side was repainted and seats were installed in lower rows.