Stade Mohamed V
|500 (VIP section)|
|Clubs||Raja Casablanca, Wydad Casablanca|
|Other names||Stade Marcel Serdan (1955-1956), Stade D'honneur (1956-1981)|
|Record attendance||100,000 (Raja - Wydad, 1997)|
|Address||Rue Ali Abderrazak, Bouskoura, Maarif, Casablanca|
Description: Stade Mohamed V
The stadium first opened in 1955, celebrating a famous French boxer Marcel Serdan. But just one year later, as Morocco became independent from France, the name was changed to Stade D’Honneur (which is used by many to this day). Final name came in 1981, when Sultan Mohammed V became the venue’s patron.
Initial capacity was set at 30,000, but before 1983 Mediterranean Games the stadium was completely rebuilt to hold even 80,000 people, most of them standing (along were built an indoor hall, natatorium and a secondary stadium around the venue). And despite capacity fell to ‘just’ 67,000 with some sections conversed to seating, no other stadium in Morocco ever saw crowds like this one.
Thanks to its central location in Casablanca, it’s very popular among fans of two largest clubs in the city – Raja and Wydad. Both play host games here with local derby being among the world’s largest. North stand (nicknamed Frimija) belongs to Wydad fans, while the most vocal among Raja supporters occupy the southern, Magana stand.
Record attendances at this stadium reach 110,000, reported first time in 1997, at the Raja-Wydad derby. Then later the same year during Morocco-Ghana international and finally in 2004, during Morocco-Argentina.