Estadio Jesús Navas (Campo del Viejo Nervión)
|2,600 (covered) (Main stand)|
|2,172 (North stand)|
|3,982 (East stand)|
|Renovations||2008, 2009, 2016-2018|
|Address||Ctra. de Utrera, Km. 1, 41005 Sevilla|
Description: Estadio Jesús Navas
The idea of creating Sevilla FC's own training complex was born in early 1960s for a very simple reason: the club only had Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan's field to play and train on. By 1968 team president José Ramón Cisneros Palacios managed to acquire over 120,000 m2 of land in the south-eastern outskirts. The complex was named precisely after Palacios.
Following expansions the sports city grew to 250,000 m2 and incorporates 10 playing fields. The most important one lies in the east and became the unofficial stadium for Sevilla's female team and reserves (under the name Sevilla Atletico).
The club left enough room around the stadium to fit a full size stadium for the first team, however such plan was never fully pursued. Instead, the field was surrounded with largely empty oval space and only a modest grandstand in the west to accommodate the few spectators coming here.
Situation began changing in the 21st century, following Sevilla Atletico's ascend to the upper leagues. By 2008 extensive facilities for players were delivered behind the south goal. When the team reached Segunda División in 2009, large temporary stands had to be built in the north and east to meet capacity requirement.
But the largest change so far followed in 2016-2018, when new western grandstand was delivered. It's the first permanent, concrete structure, offering 2,600 covered seats and further players' facilities.
Interestingly, the main field was named Campo del Viejo Nervión, which refers to the old Nervión stadium, Sevilla's home between 1928 and 1958. But in 2018 decision was made to rename the venue. It's no longer a 'campo' (field) but finally a stadium and it honours Jesus Navas, who broke record of appearances with over 450 matches for Sevilla since early teens.