All deserve a moment of your time. Partly for the great photos (remember – we try and provide as big as 1,600 pixels when possible!) , but also for the history behind them and current looks. Really nice.
Photo: Trevor Pipe
First game at the site was played in early September 1939, but as WWII broke out, fans had to wait several years for another fixture.
During its first decades it wasn’t used only by football side Fleetwood Town, but also by local speedway team (1948-1952), thus the large distance between two sections and the pitch, which wasn’t reduced until 2008.
This is when major overhaul of the stadium began, with new west and north stands being erected very quickly, between April and August. As second phase a modern east stand (with 7 skyboxes, among other features) was opened, but not in 2010, as initially planned, but in 2011.
Photo: Matthew Wilkinson
The stadium occupies the plot of previous football training complex The Meres. Thus the nickname, remembering the roots of current Grantham Town FC. Quite rightly, as all of the best performing youth later moved to play at the club, in the town centre.
The centrally-located stadium was closed in 1990, however, while construction began on the new one. It was ready to accept players and spectators in the summer of 1991.
With stands able to hold 7,500 people with terracing included, it’s always spacious enough for everyone. That of course is due to low-profile games currently played by The Gingerbreads. Record is for a more prestigious FA Cup clash against Leyton Orient.
There are few clubs with a history like this one. Lewes FC were established back in 1885 and their ground dates back to that year, too. Or, for that matter, its football use goes that far, other sports (most notably cricket) were reported to be held here since 1730!
Due to the club’s unique character the stadium is known for its friendly and hospitable atmosphere. Lewes are a fan-owned club and they gained worldwide recognition for creative matchday posters.
But the stadium has even more to offer in terms of charm. The brick-wooden Clubhouse has been on the maps since the eighteenth century, when the stadium was nothing but excavated whole with grassy slopes around. This shape earned it the name of The Dripping Pan.
Today’s stands are located to the west (Philcox Terrace, built as a covered addition to the Clubhouse in 2003), south (Rookery Stand, built in 2007 and only seated and covered section of the ground) and east (Ham Lane End, open terrace used mostly by away teams). There isn’t a stand to the north, but the club allows people to take the flat room above the slope.