Stadio Polisportivo Provinciale Trapani
|1,890 (West stand)|
|1,480 (North stand)|
|3,834 (East stand)|
|404 (Away section)|
|Inauguration||30/10/1960 (Trapani Calcio - Taranto, 3-2)|
|Renovations||1987, 2011, 2013, 2015|
|Address||Via Giuseppe Cesarò, 91016 Casa Santa di Erice, Italia|
Description: Stadio Polisportivo Provinciale
Planned in 1950s, the main football and athletic stadium for Trapani was actually located outside the administrative limits of the town, in Casa Santa. Lying near the Eryx mountain it offers a magnificent view from the west stand but, somewhat ironically, the west stand wasn’t part of the initial plan.
Upon groundbreaking in 1957 the stadium was to have crescent-shaped seating bowl with no terracing in the west. If built, the stands designed by Cesare Macaluso would have held up to 12,000 people, but the structure was never finished, only getting some 60% of the planned crescent and no stands in the south.
In 1987 the layout changed as the new western grandstand was opened, holding almost 2,000 people under a roof. Further major changes only came after 2013, when Trapani Calcio signed a long-term lease and operation contract for the stadium.
It was agreed that the 8-lane athletics track can be destroyed in order to bring fans closer to the field. Tubular stands for home fans (north) and traveling ones (south) were erected, creating an almost “rectangular layout”. Also, new seating, floodlights and synthetic turf were delivered, allowing the stadium to meet Serie B requirements.