Stadio Filadelfia

Capacity4 200
Country Italy
ClubsTorino FC
Other names Campo Torino, Il Fila
Inauguration 25/05/2017
Opening game Torino FC - Atalanta (16/09/2017)
Construction 17/10/2015 - 2017
Cost € 8 million
Design Studio PROGECO
Contractor ATICS Costruzioni Srl
Address via Filadelfia 36, Borgo Filadelfia, Turin, Italy


Stadio Filadelfia – stadium description

After nearly 20 years from demolition of the old Stadio Filadelfia, spiritual home to Torino FC, the club finally celebrated opening of its successor. Official inauguration took place in 2017 and ended a nearly-two-year construction process.

But plans for a new Filadelfia have been surfacing on many occasions, over decades even, and usually ended in the litter bin. The one finally implemented dealt well with heavy spatial and traffic constraints, as well as the sentimentally-treated remnants of old stands.

Initially there were talks of demolition of remaining old “Il Fila” elements and erection of a new stadium entirely. However, following strong opposition the two corner sections and portions of three staircases in the west were incorporated into the new stadium, as decided by Fondazione Stadio Filadelfia, established for the purpose of stadium construction in 2011.

The resulting stadium couldn't be large, however it preserves a lot from its predecessor's charm. The main stand is similar in height, width and some structural elements to the one from original 1926 Filadelfia. Inside there's enough room to fit inside the club offices, sporting and media facilities. There are also 50 parking spaces available.

Since it only holds over 4,000 people, the stadium cannot be the home of Torino for Serie A games. The team still uses the Olympic Stadium, located just 600 meters away. Instead, the new Filadelfia is Torino's main training venue.

Its facade is covered in part with bricks recovered from the original structure. Next to the south-western entrance stands a monument to club symbol, the bull. In May 2018 a special courtyard honouring club legends killed in the Superga tragedy was also opened.



Related news