Stadio Arena Garibaldi-Romeo Anconetani
|Clubs||AC Pisa 1909|
|Other names||Arena Federighi (1807-1882), Arena Garibaldi (1882-1931), Campo del Littorio (1931-1945)|
|Renovations||1931, 1961, 1968, 1978, 1982, 1990, 2007|
|Address||Via Antonio Rosmini 12, 56123 Pisa, Italy|
Description: Arena Garibaldi
While many stadiums are named “arena” as part of modern image upgrades, this stadium was an actual arena throughout the 19th century. Used as an amphitheatre, horse-racing track and for other open-air events. Called Arena Federighi first and then Arena Garibaldi (after its owners), the stadium lies just 250 meters away from the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa.
The place began functioning back in 1807 and served its initial purpose until 1896, then gradually falling into disrepair. After the establishment of local football club in 1909, the stadium became its home in 1919. This is when the first game was played but first actual grandstand was built in 1931.
During WWII the stadium served as a field hospital and only saw its glory days later. In late 1950s the north curve was built, joined by the south end in 1968 and by 1978 the whole stadium was enclosed. In 1982 the new main grandstand was opened. At peak, from 1982 until early 1994, it was able to hold 35,000 people.
But just as the original arena in 1890s, the stadium suffered from lack of maintenance in 1990s, leading to the north curve being closed in 1997, as well as part of the south one. After a series of failed redevelopment plans, in 2017 finally a comprehensive upgrade plan was introduced.