Stádio Nea Smyrni
|72 (VIP seats)|
|96 (Press seats)|
|Renovations||1998, 2001, 2003|
|Record attendance||20,950 (Panionios - Panathinaikos, 1974)|
Stádio Nea Smyrni – stadium description
The stadium squeezed into the densely populated Nea Smyrni area was built in 1939 and belongs to Panionios sports club. Due to plot constraints the ground never received continuous grandstand around the entire running track. Northern end is open, while the southern one has an oddly shaped upper tier, currently sealed off due to poor condition.
Major redevelopment works came in 2001 and 2003, when over 11,000 seats were installed and the western grandstand received its roof (respectively). Since then only minor additions were made, like the electronic entry system for fans in 2009. Due to age and failing to meet requirements, the stadium may be torn down, but only on condition that the club’s future is secured in a new arena.
Ever since its opening the stadium was used as home of Panionios, not only the football side, but also other athletes of this multi-section club. Temporary use was also provided by AEK or Olympiacos, among other, when their home grounds weren’t available. Several large non-sporting events also took place here, like the first ever Metallica concert in Greece (1993).