Gípedo Theodoros Vardinogiannis (Yedi Kule)
|770 (Away section)|
|Clubs||Omilos Filathlon Irakleiou 1925|
|Inauguration||11/11/1951 (OFI - ASDAN, 1-4)|
|Record attendance||12,391 (OFI - Olympiacos, 25/9/1988)|
|Address||Kantanou 60, Iraklio 713 03, Greece|
Gípedo Theodoros Vardinogiannis – stadium description
Though OFI Crete was established back in 1925, it wasn’t until after WWII that the club built its own stadium. OFI took over the abandoned Catholic-Jewish-Armenian cemetery of Iraklio and erected field and stands in the place of graves.
Overall footprint of the stadium remains unchanged since 1987 (when half of the north stand was expanded) and it’s extremely unlikely to grow due to spatial constraints. From the west, south and east it’s restricted by streets and housing, while there are still some graves left behind the north stand, thus its irregular shape with half large and covered and the other half lower and without a roof.
Ahead of the 2004 Olympics in Athens the stadium went through a major renovation, which saw all of the roof replaced (no more pillars obstructing views) and amenities underneath the stands upgraded. It’s also when the stadium became an all-seater.
Olympic games weren’t held here though, it was only a training centre. The city of Iraklio received a new stadium, Pankritio, and OFI attempted to relocate there, just 600 meters west f their own home. However, following the club’s decline, this option proved unfeasible economically.