Construction of this stadium began in 1940, but for various reasons lasted until 1947. Soon after that, in 1950, local football club San Luis moved in and is the anchor tenant to this day.
Interestingly, during construction of new east grandstand in 1955 and later in 1998 (while pitch was relayed) remains of ancient settlement were found under the site.
In 2007 decision was made to rebuild the stadium from scratch, celebrating Chile's bicentenary.
U-shaped stands leave empty room to the north, where administrative and leisure building was erected, as well as concert stage and a museum with the aforementioned remains.