Estádio Olímpico Pedro Ludovico Teixeira
|Clubs||Goiás EC, Vila Nova FC, Atlético Clube Goianiense, Goiânia EC|
|Cost||BRL 96 million|
|Address||R. 74, 41 - St. Central, Goiânia - GO, 74045-020, Brazil|
Description: Estádio Olímpico de Goiânia
Goiânia is the centrally-planned new capital of the state of Goiás, dating back to 1933. The “Olympic” stadium was the first large stadium to open here, hosting over 10,000 from the start. Groundbreaking took place in early 1940 and by late summer of the following year inauguration was possible.
At peak the stadium was just shy of holding 25,000 people within its oval-shaped auditorium. All stands were single-tiered and those along the field were also covered. Despite the multi-discipline layout, the stadium was always used primarily for football, by several local clubs.
Land for its construction was initially donated by Goiânia EC, later the key tenant. The stadium’s patron is Pedro Ludovico Teixeira, founder of the city and avid fan of the club.
Initially, the stadium was located north of the centre, however over time it grew into the urban fabric and is now the most centrally-located football venue in Goiânia. It retained its original form until 2006 and was entirely demolished afterwards. Construction of the successor was to follow soon, excavation for new underground parking was even done in advance.
However, actual groundbreaking didn’t happen until 2013. The parking was included in the final plan to ease the shortage around. In total, the stadium offers 380 parking spaces, vast majority under ground. While understandable in local circumstances, it’s still a very rare feature for venues of this size.
The new stadium still has its “Olympic” functions, offering a playing field along with 8-lane running track. With additional floodlights it meets most domestic and international criteria. Still, even after complete reconstruction, it’s mostly a football stadium once more.