Stadion Ramaz Shengelia
|Clubs||FK Torpedo Kutaisi|
|Other names||Stadion Givi Kiladze (2010-2015)|
|Address||Khorava St. 1, 4600, Kutaisi, Georgia|
Description: Stadion Ramaz Shengelia
The stadium used by footballers of Torpedo Kutaisi appeared in the city’s landscape after WWII. Design was delivered in 1948 and construction began a year later. However, it took much longer than anticipated to finish. Bulk of the works were done by 1956, but opening didn’t take place until 1962.
From the very first game Torpedo was the host and gave primary use to the building. This resulted in needs to renovate it in 1998 and 2010. That latest work was the largest to date, seeing conversion into all-seater and also covering of the decorative main grandstand. This also brought capacity down from 19,400 to just 12,000.
After the 2010 renovation the stadium received the name of Givi Kiladze, famous local athlete. But with the stadium primary use for football, the name was changed to Ramaz Shengelia’s. This Kutaisi citizen became an important national team player for the USSR, scoring 10 goals for the team.