Olympiastadion Helsinki

Capacity40 600
15,000 (Covered seats)
Country Finland
CityHelsinki
Clubs-
Floodlights 1,250 lux
Inauguration 12.06.1938
Construction 12.02.1934 - 06.1938
Renovations 1939, 1947-1952, 1953-1956, 1961, 1971, 1991-1994, 1997-1998, 2004-2005, 2011
Record attendance 46,127 (Finland - Holland, 31.05.1989)
Design Yrjö Lindegren, Toivo Jäntti
Address Paavo Nurmen tie 1, Töölö, Helsinki

Advertisement

Description: Olympiastadion

The Stadion foundation was established already in 1927, planning the development of a true multi-use venue for Helsinki. Yrjö Lindegren and Toivo Jäntti won the design competition foundation carried out and construction began in 1934, ending short before the outbreak of WWII.

As Helsinki had aspirations to hold Olympics, their new stadium was soon expanded and when the city won the 1952 tournament with their bid, stands were temporarily expanded to 70,000 capacity. Soon after the event another changes came, resulting in the stadium’s current external appearance, with large wooden panels and still simple, functionalistic form.

Apart from Finland national team’s games, HJK held their largest fixtures here, like the Manchester United encounter in 1965. But this was never a stadium dedicated to football, holding various winter sport events already from 1940s, with hockey, bandy and speed skating among others. To date its pitch is converted into an ice rink during wintertime.

Also a large variety of summer sporting tournaments took place, with both World and European Championships in Athletics (1983, 2005 and 1971, 1994, 2012 - respectively). In 1970 The Rolling Stones played the first concert, starting another new chapter.

One element of the stadium stands out particularly, and literally – the 72-meter tower that gives a wonderful view of Helsinki and is an attraction itself. In 1943 Finnish sports museum was opened under the stands and in 1961 Olympiastadion’s famous hostel.

After various changes the stadium still enjoys its historical appearance on the outside and indications say this will continue. Even addition of a roof opposite the main stand in 2005 didn’t change this and similarly the planned 2018-2020 thorough renovation should retain the wooden cladding.

Advertisement

Pictures

Related news

2017

2015

2014

2013