Estadio José Amalfitani (El Fortín)
|8 751 (North Stand)|
|11 889 (South Stand)|
|14 700 (East Stand)|
|14 200 (West Stand)|
|20 325 (Seats)|
|315 (VIP seats)|
|141 (Press seats)|
|Clubs||CA Vélez Sarsfield|
|Inauguration||11.04.1943 (Vélez - River Plate 2-2)|
|Renovations||1947-1951, 1967-1968, 1969, 1974, 1977-1978, 2006|
|Design||Francisco Pérez, Ricardo Staricco, Rodolfo Bramante (1977-1978)|
|Contractor||Siemens Argentina (1969), Bava, Seery, Lijmaer S. A., Bertoncini S. A., Philips Argentina (1977-1978)|
|Address||Av. Juan B. Justo 9200,City of Buenos Aires, Argentina|
Estadio José Amalfitani – stadium description
Known commonly as El Fortín, Estadio José Amalfitani is located in the Liniers district, south west of the Jorge Newbery Airport. Travel from the airport takes approximately half an hour. Vast parking sites encompass the stadium from the north and east. You can reach El Fortín by bus from the north and by train from the south.
The north and south stands are double-tiered, with the first one serving as main grandstand. None of the sections is covered and floodlights rest on four masts placed just behind the corner sections. The auditorium is painted in club colours to improve fans’ identification with the club.
Estadio José Amalfitani was opened on April 11, 1943 with a friendly game between Vélez and River Plate, which ended in a 2-2 draw. Initially the stadium had wooden stands, but in 1947 the first concrete sections were created, leaving timber only in the north. Reconstruction lasted 4 long years, ending in reopening on April 22, 1951.
On November 10, 1968 the stadium was named after José Amalfitani, the most famous president of Vélez, who ran the club for 30 years and under whose rule the stadium was opened. In 1967-68 the new north stand was opened, enclosing the field fully. The following year, a new floodlighting system was installed, very advanced for its day. Iodine-quartz lamps sit atop 45-meter masts. The lights were good enough not to require alterations when broadcasting in colour began.
In 1974, the north side was completed, including new sanitary facilities, press areas and the presidential suite. In 1977-78 the south stand received its second tier, ‘palcos’ (boxes), new seating and two parking sites were created. Capacity increased to 50,000 and a new scoreboard was installed behind the east end. The latter was replaced in 2006 by a giant screen. New sound system was also installed then.
The stadium hosted numerous sports events over the years, from football, through music, to religious and political. Most notable ones include the 1978 World Cup or a mass by John Paul II during his last visit to Argentina in 1983. On April 27, 2013 the stadium hosted a boxing match attended by 40,000 people. The building is owned and operated by Vélez Sarsfield.