El Gigante de Arroyito (Estadio Rosario Central)
|20 000 (Standing places)|
|Clubs||CA Rosario Central|
|Other names||Estadio Dr. Lisandro de la Torre (1926-1992), Estadio Antonio Rodenas (1992-2007)|
|Inauguration||14/11/1926 (Rosario Central - Newell's Old Boys, 4-2)|
|Renovations||1928-1929, 1939, 1948, 1957-1974, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2011|
|Address||Bv. Avellaneda y Av. Génova, Rosario, Argentina|
El Gigante de Arroyito – stadium description
The stadium in northern Rosario, by the banks of Parana River, was opened with the city’s great derby between Rosario Central and Newell’s Old Boys in November 1926. In 1928 the new west stand was built, while in 1929 new concrete sections were available on three remaining sides. Those stands are there to this day, forming the lower tier of north, east and south stands.
The main grandstand in the west was renovated in 1939 and finally rebuilt completely in 1948, remaining largely unchanged until 2009, when 20 new skyboxes were mounted atop the stand. Second tiers on three remaining sides were created between 1957 and 1974 with large efforts by the supporters. In the end expansion was only ready because of the 1978 World Cup, for which the stadium was a host venue. Capacity was at 40,000.
Recent years saw relatively little change to the structure itself, though skyboxes, new giant screen, seats and fresh paintwork were added. In 2013 the club officially announced plans to expand the stadium by further 10,000 to reach 53,672 people.
Apart from Rosario Central’s games in domestic and international competitions, the stadium also saw great games of Argentina, both friendly and official ones, like the 1975 11:0 victory against Venezuela. Copa America games were played here in 1975 and 1987, while the 1978 World Cup remains the largest tournament to be played in Rosario.